When Names Are Outlawed...

... then only outlaws will have names.

15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother.
Nope.  Not the Onion. 
Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named... Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.
I would really like to make a joke about this, but... I just can't manage it.  The idea of a government so pervasive and controlling that it can decide whether or not you get to keep your name makes me want to vomit.

I'm going to call this the "Light Breeze" test, after the young Ms. Eidsdottir.  If you fail to find this sort of thing absolutely repugnant, then I doubt you will be able to function in anything resembling a sane society.  For instance, one where the government can't make you a criminal because of your name.

No comments: