Dice Holdings buys Slashdot, SourceForge

Along with a few other sites, for $20 million, cash:
NEW YORK (AP) — Dice Holdings Inc. said Tuesday that it acquired Geeknet Inc.'s online media business, including its Slashdot and SourceForge websites, for $20 million in cash.
I used to follow /. pretty closely, way back when (I've got a user id under 15k, if that means anything to you).  Over the past few years, though, my respect for /. and the attention I pay it have both decreased sharply.

I'll still read the occasional pure science or technology article, just for the discussion - there's still a pretty solid group of commenters there in those cases.  Anything that might remotely touch on politics or religion sees the Daily Kos type commenters come out in full force, so I avoid those topics like the plague.  As time has gone on, the article selection has tended towards flamefest topics more than serious technical discussion.  More comments, more page views, more revenue there, I'm sure.

It's saying something when you can get more up-to-date and interesting techical discussion on Facebook than on /.

I'm more worried about what might happen with SourceForge, though that's really a non-issue as well.  If anything happens, developers will shift over to GitHub or Google Code or whatever other service all the Cool Kids (TM) are using these days, and that'll be that.

1 comment:

Aaron C. de Bruyn said...

Agreed. I'm actually shocked when I see a new project NOT hosted on github. SourceForge is clunky, and dated.