Remember

I am sure that you have heard about the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut earlier today.  Twenty-six people dead, among them, 20 elementary school students.

This is a horrible, nightmarish situation.  I cannot even being to think of what it must be like to be one of those children who survived, one of those parents who has lost their child, one of those spouses who has lost a loved one.

Not even being involved, my emotions are all over the map.  Today I have cycled through feelings hopelessness, despair, sickness of heart, righteous outrage, and deep sorrow.  Not just once, but many times.

If you are reading this, and you understand what I am talking about, then I am asking you to make an effort to remember these feelings.  I am asking you to not forget the vivid emotions, the feelings of pain and sorrow and anger and disgust.  To take them, and tuck them away somewhere in your heart, never to forget.

In part, I am asking you to do this so that the knowledge of this event does not fade.  There is evil in this world, and we do well to remember that.

Primarily, though, I am asking you to remember how you feel right now because this will happen again.  And when it does, and you and your friends make all the same noises and utter all the same excuses for Hamas launching rockets into Israel and killing children, I want you to understand exactly how I feel about you.


No comments: