C25K: On to Week Two

So, Eldest Daughter and I have managed to finish week 1 of our Couch to 5k training.  One week down, eight left to go!


I'm really happy with this first week.  After the first day, my feet hurt, my back hurt, and my legs hurt.  Thankfully, the program only calls for three days of training a week, so that meant I had a day to rest and recuperate.  (Eldest Daughter, having the vitality and resilience of youth, had no such problems.)  After the second day, it was more of the same, only... less so.  I expect that after today's session [1], I will be no more than a little stiff tomorrow.

Now, keep in mind that this first week is really tame. You jog for a minute, then walk for a minute and a half.  Lather, rinse, repeat for a total of 20 minutes.  As light as that workout is, though, I could feel the difference between the sessions.  The first one was a real struggle to complete.  The second, not nearly as bad... and today's session, even less of a issue.  I mean, yeah, I was panting like a dog and sweating like a pig, but that's to be expected.  The jogging/walking itself, though?  Not a big deal.

I was actually looking forward to today's session.  Seriously.  If you knew how I usually feel about running, you would know how strange that is.  Imagine how I must feel, waking up and thinking, "Oh, hey!  We get to run today!"

So, apparently, my head is in the right space, at least.  My body will get there, too.  Eventually.

Next week, we up ante.  Jog for a minute and a half, then walk for two minutes.  The goal, after all, is to eventually work up to the point where we can jog 5k without stopping.  Given this week, I am looking forward to it.  What we've done so far has primed me for it, mentally speaking. I know that the first session of the week will be tough... but I also know that I can push myself and get through it, and that after that, completing the next couple of sessions will get increasingly less difficult to accomplish.

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I'm all psyched about working my way up to running jogging for a whole ninety seconds at a time.  Baby steps, man.  Baby steps.

[1] I say "session", because this isn't a running program - it's a jogging program, really; and until the seventh week, it's really a jogging/walking program.

No comments: