"For Avoidance of Doubt"

Ruthlessly stolen from a friend's Facebook post, because he's far more eloquent than I am. Some advice for both Democrats and Republicans who wish to discuss politics with me in this election season:
If you're interested in talking to me about the issues that matter to you, it will help your cause if you refrain from assigning me the role of villain or hero on the basis of my demographics.  
For avoidance of doubt:
  • You have an absolute right to the identity politics that are meaningful to you.
  • However, I feel absolutely no obligation to engage with you on those terms. 
  • If your intent is to hector or lecture me, save your breath. I'm not even going to pretend to take you seriously.
  • If you're not interested in talking to me, then by all means keep talking to yourselves.
I think I may need to get these printed up on a business card.

No comments: