The Things Kids Say

It was a wonderful morning in the household.  When I came downstairs this morning, my two youngest daughters had Gitchi Gitchi Goo queued up on the iPad, ready to play for Dada as a Valentine's Day present.  As I dropped them off for the school bus this morning, my middle daughter leaned over and whispered "I know something you don't... there's a surprise in your lunch box!", giggled madly, then rushed off to the bus.

After that, it was time to head back to the house, pick up my wife and oldest daughter, and head out to Starbucks for Starbucks Appreciation Day.  We pretty much had the store to ourselves, so we enjoyed a lovely little breakfast and talked about matters of great import - the fact that Han shot first.  I let the manager know that we were there because we approved of Starbucks' corporate policy (or lack thereof) on gun control, and he told me he had already had several people express the same sentiment.  Wonderful!

On the short trip to Starbucks, I explained what we were doing, and why we were going, to my oldest daughter.  I told her that there were people who were angry with Starbucks because they didn't ban people who were carrying guns from their store, and who would like it if nobody except the government was allowed to have guns.  I let her know that while we were going to their store as a Valentine's Day treat, we also wanted to let them know that we liked their policy of not getting involved and just selling coffee.

We also talked about what it would mean if Starbucks were to say "No guns in our stores!"  I asked her what kind of people obeyed the law ("Well, people!") , and what kind of people didn't obey the law ("Oh... criminals.")  So if people obeyed the law, and criminals didn't... what kind of people would take guns into a store if they weren't allowed to?

She mulled that over for a bit, then looked at me and said, "Criminals.  Huh, that's stupid." 

After a moment, she grinned at me, and said "Happy minor political protest day, Dada!"

Indeed, kiddo.  Indeed.

She's going to be ready for her Junior Wookie Suit real soon now... and I couldn't be a prouder papa.

2 comments:

RedeemedBoyd said...

Found you through the grape vine, love this story!

Samrobb said...

Glad to hear it, RB. She's a pistol, and a delight :-)