Hullnuts!

I had a draft lurking in my blogger queue, so my supposed 300th post (the last one) was actually only past #299.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Since you deserve an all around better class of service in general and ranting in particular, let me take the opportunity to point you at Ethan Zuckerman's latest post, "Unpacking Kony 2012".

The Kony story resonates because it’s the story of an identifible individual doing bodily harm to children. It’s a story with a simple solution, and it plays into existing narratives about the ungovernability of Africa, the power of US military and the need to bring hidden conflict to light...
The problem, of course, is that this narrative is too simple. The theory of change it advocates is unlikely to work, and it’s unclear if the goal of eliminating Kony should still be a top priority in stabilizing and rebuilding northern Uganda. By offering support to Museveni, the campaign may end up strengthening a leader with a terrible track record...
I’m starting to wonder if this is a fundamental limit to attention-based advocacy. If we need simple narratives so people can amplify and spread them, are we forced to engage only with the simplest of problems? Or to propose only the simplest of solutions?


Why would I pay attention to Zuckerman?  Two reasons, really.

First, out of all the people that are talking about "Kony 2012": he's someone I know, and once worked with.  I didn't know him well, and I didn't work with him for very long, or very closely; but he is, at least, not a completely unknown quantity to me.

Second, he's someone that I've kept tabs on over the years.  Unlike so many other people who talk the talk but wobble when they walk, Zuckerman has been willing, time and time again, to put his money - and his time, and his energy - where his mouth is.  He's been doing this for at least, what, thirteen, fourteen years now?  And what I've seen from him has been consistent, and credible, and thoughtful.  I might not always agree with him (heh!), but his desire to help others in a real, substantial, long-term way is undeniable.

All of which, to me, adds up to some credibility.  "Kony 2012" has certainly turned out to be a successful message.  It may not be the message that the people of Uganda need us to hear, though.


No comments: