Resolution: Reading for 2011

Over the past couple of years, I've managed to accumulate a small pile of non-fiction that looked interesting to me. "Hmmm," I'd say, "this sounds good. 50% off, too? Wow! I'll take it! I'm sure I'll get around to reading it. At some point. Really!"

Well, that time has come. Thanks to a recent reorganization of the household (moving my eldest daughter into her own room), I ended up with all my "get around to it" books in more or less one pile. A bit of shuffling, and voilĂ ! - what follows is my proposed (non-fiction) reading list for 2011. A total of 25 titles, or one every couple of weeks this year. That's a pretty good clip - we'll see how well I manage it.

As far as fiction reading is concerned, I resolve to continue reading whatever catches my fancy. I'm currently working my way through Glen Cook's latest book in his "Instrumentalities of the Night" series ("Surrender to the Will of the Night"), and I'll probably start in on his "Darkwar" trilogy after that's complete. I also resolve to continue my habit of voraciously devouring anything by Jim Butcher, Charles Stross, Jack McDevitt, Steven Brust, Lois Bujold, Dan Abnett, Sandy Mitchell, and any number of other authors who tickle my fancy.

Pastoral (9)
  • English for Bible Readers - Paul W. Scott
  • Preaching the Word - Mark Bachman
  • Preaching & Preachers - D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
  • The Preacher and His Preaching - W. B. Riley
  • The Guide to Practical Pastoring - C. Sumner Wemp
  • Rural Evangelism - Kevin E. Ruffcorn
  • The Pastor: His Life and Work - Charles U. Wagner
  • How to Preach Without Notes - Charles W. Koller
  • Number in Scripture - E. W. Bullinger
Historical (8)
  • One Nation Under God - David C. Gibbs, Jr.
  • The Chaplains and Clergy of the Revolution - J. T. Headley
  • Twelve Years A Slave - Solomon Northrup
  • Chaplains in Gray - Charles F. Pitts
  • Homiletics from the Heart - John Goetsch
  • Lectures to My Students - C. H . Spurgeon
  • The Life of Paul - F. B. Meyer
  • The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon
Personal (4)
  • The Steps of a Good Man - Eldon Martens
  • Uprooting Anger - Robert D. Jones
  • Dare to Look Inward - Mark Bachman
  • From Anger to Intimacy - Gary Smalley & Ted Cunningham
Adoption (4)
  • The Spirit of Adoption - Jeanne Stevenson-Moessner
  • Adoption as a Ministry, Adoption as a Blessing - Michelle Gardner
  • Adopted from Asia - Frances M. Koh
  • Adopted by God - Robert A. Peterson

No comments: