Pinky Pie, Delirium, and Nick Fury


A brief discussion of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and how it relates to Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comics. [1]


Last night, watching with the girls, I commented to Shari, "Pinky Pie kind of walks along the ragged edge of sanity, doesn't she?"



And then it hit me.



Pinky Pie is Delirium (she of the Endless who used to be Delight).



There are six main ponies... and six of the Endless.

"Oh, no," you might say. "There are seven of the Endless!"

Except that Destruction abandoned his duties. Ha!  So, six ponies... and six Endless.
  • Pinky Pie is obviously Delirium.
  • Twilight Sparkle? Always doubting... so she's Despair.
  • Rainbow Dash? Big plans, big visions. She's Dream.
  • Applejack? Hard working, dedicated. She's Destiny.
  • Rarity? Duh. Desire, of course.
  • Fluttershy? Death.
I can now watch MLP:FIM with my little ladies, and pretend that I am not watching animated ponies learn over-the-top, blatantly obvious lessons about personal interactions, but instead perceive a subtle drama about the interactions of the fundaments of the human psyche. [2]

Which should help to keep me on the ragged edge of sanity. Maybe I'll see Pinky Pie there.

[1] So I know about MLP:FIM. I have three girls. I am not only allowed, I am required. Don't judge me.
[2] Another interpretation sees Pinky Pie as Nick Fury, and maps the remaining ponies onto members of the Avengers. That works, too.

No comments: