Changes In Attitude

Every year about this time - just before our church's annual youth conference - I shave my head.  It started off as something completely unrelated to that event, but managed to get associated with it.  By now, it's approaching a decade-old tradition.  The beginning of June rolls around, and off comes the hair.  My hairless head even has it's own name, thanks to my youngest a few years ago, who called it "Dada's Bald".

I keep the goatee, because - as the Mandarin shows - a bald head and a beard is a fabulous combination.

Just this year, though, I think I've started to see a change in the reaction I get from strangers who see me in all my shorn glory.  In the past, sometimes I would catch people glancing at me, then doing a little bit of a double take.  I was pretty sure I could predict exactly what was going through their head at that point - something very much like, "Uh-oh.  Skinhead?"

I'm sure the goatee didn't help matters.

Now?  I still see the same reaction, but the double-take is a bit more like a relaxed glance.  For some reason, my bald head and facial hair combination has somehow managed to cross a line I didn't even know was there.  I'm still pretty sure that I can still predict exactly what's going through their minds, though.

Sigh.  Apparently, sometime in your mid-40's, "bald with a beard" stops looking sketchy and dangerous, and starts looking like an attempt to cope with male pattern baldness.

Ah, well.  At least I still have my tough-guy reputation as a computer programmer to fall back on.

No comments: