Right vs. Wrong

It occurs to me that the vast majority of what passes for "debate" on the internet boils down to "I'm right, and you're wrong. Because I'm right." In advanced cases, there may be some gratuitous use of carefully selected facts in an attempt to justify one's position. Ultimately, though, that's all it is - justification. "This is what I believe, and if you don't agree with me, then you're wrong."

I've seen it too often, in too many forums and venues, for it to be coincidence. I've seen it in people arguing about politics, copyright, game design, literature, science, and religion. It's an observation that I think would hold true whether we were discussing classical Greek etymology or the latest Pokemon game for the Nintendo DS.

Sigh. Sometimes, I think everyone in the world just deserves a good kicking, you know? And, well, if you don't agree with me on that... you're wrong.

No comments: