Space Optimization

Just a few weeks ago, my wife and I went through the house, clearing out bookshelves. This is kind of a yearly ritual for us. We tend to pick up a couple of books a week, and over the course of a year, that eventually results in towers of books piled on top of any flat surface not in daily use. We eventually get to the point where the only way we can expect to fit more books into the house is to purge what we have and make room for the next year's bounty.

Which is why this book-lined staircase tickles my fancy. Instead of clearing out old books to make way for new, why not clear out old architecture to make more storage space?

I know that tonight, I'm going to be walking around the house, going "Mmmm... ooooh, we could knock a hole here, and put a shelf there, and..." while my wife makes noncommittal noises of agreement and quietly hides the hammers and drywall saws.

No comments: