Happiness, Redux

After my little Sig P226 came home, we here at the Robb Complex [1] were quite happy.  For a while, at least.  Until we realized that we weren't quite "happy, happy, happy", as Phil would say.

Until today.

Last week, I had a chance to surprise the lovely Mrs. Robb with a trip to Ace Sporting Goods in Washington, PA.  We've not been there before, and so we ventured there solely based on it's reputation.  A reputation that, as far as I'm concerned, they lived up to.  A++++, would buy again, n'at.

We went there to look at a Khar CW9.  A friend of ours has one, and the Mrs. was quite taken by it.  While looking it over, the very knowledgable young man who was showing it to us suggested that she might want to look at a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Shield as well.


As it turned out, the Shield fit her hand better than the Khar.  On top of that, the Shield has a safety, which pretty much sold her on it.  She wasn't too keen about the idea of walking around with a loaded weapon without a manual safety.

We bought it (no problem with her background check, of course!), brought it home, cleaned it, and... then spent the next three days too busy to test fire the darn thing.

Needless to say, there was a bit of frustration on her part.

That was finally remedied today, when we got home in time to take advantage of the lack of rain and last remnants of sunlight.  I put up a target real quick like, and then she proceeded - with great enthusiasm -  to put some holes in it.


If the little "Squee!" I heard is any indication, I think the Shield is a hit.

Having put a few rounds through it myself, I'll admit that yes, I was very much tempted to squee as well.  It's a really nice little gun.  My Sig is easier to handle and seems a bit more accurate, but the Shield was just plain fun to fire.

I won't say it's the best gift I've ever given her.  I'm naive enough to still imagine that the top spot is still occupied by her wedding ring.  However, I am pretty confident that it has managed to make it into the top two.

[1] Like a compound, only swankier.

No comments: